Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Book Review



Lucy of Enchanted by Josephine has kindly reviewed my novel Trianon, saying:
‘It is the story of the martyred King Louis XVl and his Queen.’ P. ix

…Be prepared to be moved beyond belief....This absolutely beautifully written novel details the life of the Royal couple by capturing the very essence of their being....The story is told in minute details and the love, the hardship, the loyalty and the suffering are all equally intense. There isn’t a part of the book that can be read lightly. It is extremely deep in terms of love, sorrow, faith and revelation....

I had always liked Louis XVl, but after reading Trianon, I began to see him in a way that I had never seen him before. He was now grander, nobler, stronger and of the kindest heart ever imaginable. I now adore this king more than ever. Marie Antoinette is clearly portrayed as a loving soul who was doomed from the very beginning. She was branded and never given a chance. ALL those who knew her though, loved her and saw the simplicity and the extent of her forever- giving nature. She truly is ‘La reine martyre.’

I was also fascinated by the lives and encounters of the other characters seen in the book, such as; Madame Royale, a young daughter who was exposed to way too much tragedy at such an impressionable age; Madame Louise of France and her piety and love and understanding of the royal couple; and of course, Madame Elizabeth and her tender ways; the Abbé, who helped give great strength to the king. His role was immense in a time of inconceivable tragedy. I got to learn so much about all the other characters as well.

I particularly enjoyed the way Elena Maria Vidal takes us through the royal couple’s lives by weaving in details of past, and blending them perfectly within the story. The intricate details pertaining to the time, place and person are what made it so real and indisputably accurate in the historical sense as well. So, for me this book was more than a glimpse into the lives of historical figures by means of a novel. This was a reliving of history as it should have been told.

Now, although I could not put this book down because I was totally enveloped by it; it was by no means an easy read. This book wrenched my heart out as I relived their tragedy, page by page. It touched me so deeply that all I wanted to do was to keep on reading.

This magnificent book is enlightening, as well as elevating; the perfect blend of history and spirituality within the realm of compassion and truth…Mesmerizing.

An absolute must read.
Thank you, Lucy. It makes me very happy to know that, although this book has been out for twelve years, more people than ever continue to read it, rediscovering Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. Share

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Elena, thank you so much for having written it. A book this true and this good is meant to be everlasting.

elena maria vidal said...

I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much, Lucy! Thank you very much!

Gareth Russell said...

What a lovely review. I'm sure it's accurate and I'm desperately hunting for a copy of "Trianon" and "Madame Royale" here in Britain.

I've often wanted to ask you what you made of the comte d'Artois, Elena? Having played him three times on stage and written about him twice, I'm fascinated by him - and Madame de Polignac also!

elena maria vidal said...

Gareth, my husband and I can ship the books to you directly. (We have a paypal account.)

Artois is one of the main characters in my novel Madame Royale so I feel like I got to know him. He could be childish and was a bon-vivant but after Louis de Polastron died he changed quite a bit and matured somewhat. He was charming and generous but his impulsiveness led to his political downfall. I would love to see you bring him to life!