Thursday, March 8, 2007

Manners for Men

Emily Post has a marvelous guide for gentlemen on how to be at their best in any situation. Some do not need any guidance, but some do. There are many true and wonderful gentlemen in the world.

Ladies, this does not mean you are to start dropping broad hints to your husband about his table manners, especially when in company. You are not your husband's mother; you are his wife. If his own mother did not teach him how to behave properly in public, then it is too late for you to do anything, unless he chooses a course of self-improvement. BUT you CAN teach good manners to your sons. There IS hope for the next generation. Share

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this link. I know I cannot nag my husband into using good manners, but I am trying to teach our son good manners, and I worry about the effect my husband's lack of manners has on our son. I try to teach my son by example. However, I sometimes find him mimicking my husband's behavior.

Juliana

elena maria vidal said...

Oh, Juliana, you are not alone. There are other women with this same dilemma. It is so difficult, since a little boy naturally models his father. Just keep working gently with your son. I would recommend tea-time in the afternoons, where by serving tea and cookies you could concentrate on the basics with your son, like a good manners class. I have had tea parties for young boys and although they did not like the idea at first, boys are very fond of learning rules. Work on chewing with the mouth closed, saying "please," "thank you," and "may I, " just the little things. Then later, when you are dining as a family, and you find it necessary to correct your son, reminding him of what he learned in class, your husband may get the hint.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful idea, thank you! I will try that.

Juliana :)